Sunday, April 8, 2012

Marblehead Lighthouse

Marblehead Lighthouse

Marblehead Lighthouse

I like my shot of the lighthouse at Christmastime.

Marblehead Lighthouse, the oldest lighthouse in continuous operation on the Great Lakes, has guided sailors safely along the rocky shores of Marblehead Peninsula since 1822.

In 1819, the fifteenth U. S. Congress recognized the need for navigational aides along the Great Lakes, and set aside $5,000 for construction of a light tower at the entrance to Sandusky Bay • Contractor William Kelly built the 50-foot tower of native limestone on the tip of the Marblehead Peninsula • The base of the tower is 25 feet in diameter, with walls five feet thick. It narrows to twelve feet at the top with two-foot thick walls.


Through history, fifteen lighthouse keepers, two of whom were women, have tended the beacon • The first keeper was Benajah Wolcott, a Revolutionary War veteran and one of the first settlers on the peninsula • He and his family lived in a small stone home on the SanduskyWolcott's death in 1832, his wife, Rachel, took over these duties.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice history. I like the decorations on the ligthhouse.

Susanna said...

Wow, I didn't know the walls are so thick! Nice shot of the lighthouse.

Anonymous said...

That is special to see the lighthouse wearing its Christmas finery.

Anonymous said...

I heard this song about a lighthouse many years ago and I've never forgotten it. Your photo reminded me of it.

“The Lighthouse"
By Ronnie Hinson


There's a Lighthouse on the hillside
that overlooks life's sea.
When I'm tossed it sends out
a light that I might see.
And the light that shines in the darkness,
now will safely lead us o'er.
If it wasn't for the lighthouse
that ship would be no more.



Everybody that lives around me says,
tear that lighthouse down,
The big ships don't sail this way anymore,
there's no use of it standing 'round.
Then my mind goes back to that stormy night,
when just in time I saw the light,
Yes, the light from that old lighthouse,
that stands up there on the hill.


And I thank God for the Lighthouse,
I owe my life to Him,
For Jesus is the Lighthouse,
and from the rocks of sin
He has shone a light around me
that I can clearly see,
If it wasn't for the Lighthouse
where would this ship be?