Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Red Lettuce

Favorite Pastimes

Red Lettuce

I've always enjoyed watching things grow. Maybe it is because all of my great-grandfathers were farmers. Once I planted a lettuce seed in a little glass bottle on my desk. I let it grow for about six months and it shot more than three feet out of the jar. On the very tip was a yellow lettuce flower. I took this picture of my sister's red lettuce patch just a few weeks ago. She is growing it to feed her flock of chickens. She doesn't mind the weeds because the chickens will eat those too. I like the beautiful reddish color of the ribbed leaves and how it contrasts with the rich, tropical green.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of Christmas!

Anonymous said...

That is luscious-looking lettuce. Very nice detail.

Anonymous said...

Your picture makes me think about the transfer of energy and nutrients that takes place as the chickens eat the lettuce. What a marvelous plan, and it's even pleasing to the taste!

Anonymous said...

Intriguing color. Didn't know red lettuce was so lovely!

Anonymous said...

And then the chicken droppings go back into the soil to grow more lettuce! That's sustainable farming.